Monday, September 12, 2005

Happy Birthday Karen

Today you would have been celebrating your 53rd birthday. I always thought it was neat that we were exactly 10 years minus 1 week apart in age. I always used to send you cards about you being the older one & you would get such a kick out of them. We shared so much together.....not only the same birthstone, but also a closeness that only sisters can share. And I miss that so much! I miss you so much, Karen! Not a day goes by that I don't think about you & shed a tear. You were always my inspiration, my shield, my guardian & my friend.

When I went home earlier this month, I decided to buy this ring from Donna because I knew how much it meant to you. It was our grandmother's ring & when she passed away, Mom got it. Then Mom needed to sell it & she offered it to you first, but you couldn't afford it at the time. Donna agreed to buy it so that she could keep it in the family & then I bought it from her so that I could cherish it since I knew that it was very special to you. I now wear it proudly on my index finger of my right hand, along with my other 2 sapphire rings....the one that Jim gave me several years ago for our anniversary & the one that belonged to you.

I honestly don't know how I've made it through this past year without you, Karen. It definitely hasn't been easy! Everyone keeps telling me that it will get better & easier to handle as time goes by, but it really hasn't :( I've been trying to enjoy my life as much as possible because I know that is what you'd want me to do.....you loved life so much yourself! I just wish I could tell you how much of an influence you have been to me. Just one more time, I just wish I could tell you I love you!

Forever your little sister,
Benita

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Benita, this is a lovely tribute to your sister. I was so touched as I read it. Happy birthday to her. I hope you find peace this year - I can only imagine how difficult it is to lose a beloved sister.

Jewels by Jewls said...

Benita, I was thinking about you yesterday, knowing what the day was. I think what you wrote to Karen was beautiful!

hugs
Jewls
P.S. The pictures are working now on my blog.

Karen (Cupcake) Carter said...

Wow! That really hit me hard to read. I have one sister and she is 10 years older than me. She is so important to me and I can't imagine the pain of losing her. I am in tears and just don't even know what to say. I wish I could hug you and help ease your pain. I'm very sorry for your loss.