Saturday, January 12, 2013

I'm "Plum Crazy"!

About 2 months ago, I had this crazy thought in my head to list my 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T for sale on Craigslist just to see if I would get any interest in it.  I got some emails with low ball offers which I just ignored.  And then a guy that was looking for a car to take to Florida claimed he was really interested in mine, but wanted to 'shop around'....never did hear back from him, so I guess he wasn't that interested.  But then a few weeks ago, a guy emailed me & said he was very interested in it, but it took us about a week or so before we could set up a time that worked for both of us for him to come & look at it with the holidays & everything.  He came & saw it, kept looking at it & I could tell he was in deep thought.  But then he gave me his offer.....$1,000 less than what I had it listed for.  I told him I couldn't go that low & that I really didn't have to sell it.  Afterall, she's my baby!  A few days later, he text me & told me to let him know if I changed my mind....well, I didn't reply because I didn't change my mind, lol.  Then on New Year's Day, he called me & gave me another offer....this time, only $500 less than my asking price.  After thinking about it & talking to the hubs about it, we decided to go through with it.  Let me tell you, it was one of the hardest things I've done!  I've had this car since 2006 & was the original owner....she was my "Christine" :)  She took care of me back & forth several times to Pennsylvania.  I honestly thought I would never sell her!  That is, until I found this to replace her:
A PLUM CRAZY 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic!  I have been wanting a Challenger ever since we went to the Detroit Auto Show in 2008 & saw that they were bringing the Challengers back.  I just love the fact that they actually look like the old Challengers of the 70's, unlike the new Chargers that have 4 doors....that's just not right!  LOL  I used to own a 1970ish Challenger & really wish I still had that car!  Dumb, dumb, DUMB for ever selling that thing!  She'd be worth a small fortune right now!  And I won't even bring up the 1970 Plymouth Barracuda I used to have.....nope, not going there!  I sold that car to go to Athens, Greece!  Yep, I'm completely crazy! 
But now, I finally own my true 'dream' car :)  Okay, so a Dodge Viper would be nicer, but that will probably always remain just a dream.
I was so close to buying a 2012 Stinger Yellow Challenger, but after numerous problems with the deal & dealership (first, it had a chip in the paint on the front fender, so they had to repaint that, then I ran out of gas on Telegraph Road (a very busy road, I might add) when taking it for a test drive....it took the salesman over 15 minutes to get to me, but luckily a police officer finally came up behind me to block traffic from rear-ending me), anyway....we decided to walk away from it & I'm so glad I did cause it lead me to this one.
After everything that happened with the deal on the yellow one, I told my husband that if I'm going to get one, then I want the color I want & that color has always been purple (even though, at one point, I had considered a Panther Pink one, but purple has been my absolute favorite color forever).  So I waited, but didn't have to wait very long.  When I found this one online at a local dealership, I couldn't move fast enough to go & take a look at it.  It had one owner, just a little over 13,600 miles & is in excellent condition.  It had one minor scratch on the rear bumper, but they were able to buff that out & I found a very small stone chip on the hood that someone tried to fix. Otherwise, it's spotless both inside & out.  And now it's mine....all mine :)
The guy bought my Charger on Monday, January 7th then Jim & I went to picked my new baby up that same night.  The hard part was having to basically bring her home & winterize her already.  I did drive her for a few days & again today since it was so nice out, but now she's sitting back in the garage, all clean & covered up, patiently waiting for Spring to arrive.  Jim & I talked about it & we both decided that we're only going to take her out during the Spring/Summer/Early Fall & only when it's completely dry out....no snow, no rain...only dry roads for this baby!  And definitely NO dirt roads!  I figure I waited 50 years to get my dream car & I'm definitely going to baby my baby!
There are 2 things that it doesn't have that I wish it did....a navigation system (but I'm okay with that since I have nav on my cellphone) & a sunroof.....I'm seriously considering having one installed someday, though.  The one thing it does have that I love is a 6 speed manual transmission :)  Now it's really all mine because Jim can't drive stick, lol.  I've tried teaching him before & he just never got the hang of it, but he claims he's okay with not driving it (so he says, lol).

Make sure to wave if you see me on the roads :)

Benita <~~a little more 'plum crazy' each day!

2 comments:

Carson Wininger said...

I’m sure your “Christine” is in good hands. Her new owners are taking good care of her. But this plum-colored Dodge is such a beauty. I cannot take my eyes off of her. This Dodge Challenger certainly inherits the charm and build of its predecessors. But there is definitely a modern twist to this vehicle. And the interiors look good too! You are quite lucky to have this amazing auto! [Carson Wininger]

Unknown said...

I fell in love at first sight with your plum Dodge, Benita. It’s really beautiful. I found “Christine” sexy, but this one is more. I like how it looks against the winter snow background. `No wonder you get crazy over this. So, does she have a name now?

Kyle Schmidt